Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Remembering Glen

Even though the Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts is an ongoing presence in these blog entries, this is a personal blog with no formal connection to the Center.  Initially, I didn’t expect to share the following remembrance here.  But over the past couple of weeks, as I’ve struggled with blogger writer’s block, it’s become increasingly obvious that I would have to share some brief thoughts about the life of Glen Ruzicka.  Later this week, I hope to return to writing about the preservation work that Glen always passionately championed.

A valued friend and colleague, Glen Ruzicka died two weeks ago from injuries sustained at a fall at his house.  His passing was sudden, completely unexpected, and unutterably sad.

From 1988 until October 2010, a term of more than 22 years, Glen worked at the Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts, first as Chief Conservator (1988-1997) and then as Director of Conservation (1998-2010).

I’ve worked at the Conservation Center for twelve years now.  Glen came up with the marketing project that brought me to the Center in 1998.  He was my first contact, took me on my first tour of the laboratory, and managed my first work at the Center.

Glen was always cheerful, relaxed and generous—very approachable in a way that belied his outstanding professional reputation as a conservator.  He shared his love of history and preservation through his mentoring and guidance of so many of us at the Center.  I’m sure his warmth and passion have informed my own writing on conservation.  Similarly, I’m sure that aspects of Glen have been reflected in the interviews that I’ve done on this blog with conservators Samantha Sheesley and Jim Hinz and that his presence will continue to be felt as other staff members share their expertise.  We’ve internalized Glen in ways that we can’t even begin to understand at this point.

Glen’s memorial service is this afternoon.  Then tomorrow we’ll return to the work of preservation--a worthy cause and a calling to be proud of, as Glen well knew.

© 2010 Lee Price

1 comment:

  1. Lovely remembrance and thoughts on Glen's lasting presence, Lee.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete